Monday, January 10, 2011

Reclaimed Country Cottage French Blue Candle Holders and Wall Hangings

Reclaimed flea market find.
This refinishing project took a weekend to do, from start to finish. The work produced lovely wall hangings and pleasant wooden candle holders. I bought items at a flea market and at yard sales. They are repainted in pastel blue and white acrylic paint. Initially, the wood was unfinished and the door glass was ready to fall out. The vent holes looked unappealing and bare. However, the hinged door appeared secure and the piece had potential. Low cost metal Christmas tree ornaments cover the holes nailed in place with gold colored finishing nails. Craft glue and grout holds the front glass in place covering any sharp edges. The heat from the candle-flame, goes up and out the top chimney hole.

Yard Sale frames and prints recycled.
These framed prints, found in yard sales, have soft pastels in pink, blue and green hues reminiscent of the French blue French country cottage style. Although used,
the frames were still tight and secure and the glass wasn't scratched or broken. 

Originally, the frame on this print was brown and looked harsh in contrast to the soft pastels. Before painting the frames, I lightly sanded each one so the new paint would adhere. In addition, I applied an undercoat of gesso to the frame before adding the lighter blue and white acrylic colors. My friend, Tammy Frost, liked this print so much that I sent it to her as gift of appreciation for the advice she so graciously gave me when I first started writing for eHow and on my blogs. Check out Tammy's profile at the link provided with her name. She has a lot of good information to share with readers.   

2 comments:

Tammy Frost said...

Hi Gloria, it's me Tammy from ehow. I was just admiring your photos in the frames. How much are they? Is the middle one a Thomas Kinkade picture?

Tammy Frost said...

I wanted to stop in and say hi. I was just admiring my lovely picture you sent me again Thanks.
If you have time can you follow my daughters blog? It is http://sabrinafrost.blogspot.com. In return, she will write a story about you and include a link to this blog. Thanks Gloria!